What can I do if I have been scammed?
If you find yourself in the situation where you'd been scammed – or if you’re ever in doubt, follow the procedures below:
- Report the incident to your bank’s authorities.
- If possible, withdraw your funds from the website to a wallet that only you have access to. Avoid talking directly to the scammer/account manager on whatsapp, email etc, if they contacted you this way in the past.
- File an incident report on NetSafe’s website. NetSafe will get back to you with advice and may also forward your report to a corresponding agency and/or authorities, such as the police or Consumer Protection. Freephone: 0508 638 723 (NZ only).
- You can also report a cybersecurity issue through CERT NZ.
- Please let us know. We will do our best to help you.
For other NZ resources about investments and avoiding scams, you can see The Commission for Financial Capability NZ. We are also here to help you If you’re in doubt, feel free to reach out to our helpdesk team and one of our team members will assist you in the best way that we can.